Earthquake Readiness Bags & Information
In our on-going earthquake preparedness, we ask that you send with your child by September 29, 2021, the following individual earthquake kit made up of 2 bags. The kit will remain in your child’s classroom until the end of the school year. Your child’s earthquake kit will be returned to you at the end of each school year to be re-supplied and returned to school in September of the following year. The school secures its own additional earthquake supplies. This is purely for a short-term, personalized classroom earthquake kit.
Please LABEL THE BAGS WITH YOUR CHILD’S NAME and send two heavy-duty plastic Ziploc-type bags, EACH OF ONE GALLON SIZE ONLY, including the following items:
Bag # 1: Food that would be appropriate for your own child, taking in consideration his/her likes and dislikes and special dietary needs such as:
- 2-3 Ready-to-eat non-perishable cans of food (tuna, meat, etc.) with pop-tops lids (no can opener needed)
- 2-3 Ready-to-eat non-perishable cans of dessert (fruits, pudding...) with pop-tops lids (no can opener needed)
- High-energy foods such as peanut butter, jelly, crackers, granola bars, trail mix...
- Other foods: cookies, sweetened cereals,
- Moistened towelettes for cleaning hands and plastic utensils
- 1 compact, lightweight, aluminized foil emergency blanket (WalMart, Big 5, Target, etc. usually in the camping department). Sample can be found in the Library Center.
PLEASE CHECK THAT THE FOOD PRODUCTS DO NOT REQUIRE REFRIGERATION AND DO NOT EXPIRE FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR!
Bag # 2: Kids’ Fun Activity Survival Kit
Something for the kids to keep busy when they are waiting for you. Remember to place age appropriate items. Some suggested items for your Kids’ Fun Activity Survival Kit:
- A favorite book
- Crayons, pencils or marking pens and plenty of paper
- A favorite toy or a favorite stuffed animal
- A deck of cards
- A small puzzle
- Small travel game(s) for children
- Pictures of the family and pet (VERY IMPORTANT FOR ALL OF THE CHILDREN) Please write a short message addressed to your child on the back of the picture. Research shows that this is very helpful when children are dealing with stressful situations.
Note: Make sure that the office has enough emergency prescriptions on hand to cover special requirements for your child/children if subject to asthma or any other ailments.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND BAGS LARGER THAN 1 GALLON EACH AS THEY WILL NOT FIT IN THE CLASSROOM CONTAINERS AND YOU WILL NEED TO REPACK THEM.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.